The Lake Neighbors

This is a resource section for mtgs notes, upcoming events and discussions on all topics related to living in our neighborhood. for more info visit: www.lakeneighbors.org or check out our facebook page!

Monday, December 14, 2009

OPD Communications

Captain Orozco,

Thank you for copying me on your response to Richard Berman's letter and Sean Henry's break-in and for your
fast response to this.

I know the crime is down statistically, but living here it just does not feel like it. We want to do what we
can on our end to work in concert with everyone to bring the rates down even lower because honestly
before this recent spike we had it was still a regular burglary we heard of in a home of a neighbor and tagging
constantly and car break ins and then all the drunken or lewd behaviors we see all the time -- almost daily
on our porches, etc.

We SO MUCH appreciate the OPD -- they are very nice to us and they really do care
about our needs. Out of our own family's interactions with the OPD only one was negative (an officer that came
by earlier in the year when our house was burglarized -- the responding officers were great, but when we called
to follow up the officer that came by was not interested at all in the evidence we had -- phone records
of a phone stolen from our house that time -- and my husband was basically told in so many words that
"well, what do you expect, you live in Oakland" -- which was really shocking to us. We had a more success
finding out some of what happened from people on the street who looked into it.

Dispatch is really mixed -- some of the people answering are very great and helpful and are answered by
people who really show that they care about the call/need -- and at the same time our calls are often
are met with rudeness. With our break in when I asked the emergency dispatch to please hurry because my
husband went into the house she snapped at me and lectured that "there is no HURRY" -- like I was
not allowed to say that -- I explained that my husband ran into the house and I did not know if anyone was still
in there which seemed to get her to be no longer rude with me -- I was genuinely afraid for my
husband's safety and there was very little sensitivity to this. We get response times that vary so greatly we never
know what will happen. Sometimes very fast, sometimes a few hours, sometimes none at all.

Please focus on this aspect with us, because telling us the stats are lower just makes us feel helpless --
the improvement is vital, but it still feels very unsafe at the current improved rate. We are not ever trying to be "trouble"
or a negative voice -- we are all good, hard working people who are very community minded and we do
appreciate the hard work that is very real that the OPD does. We care about their safety, also.

We would really appreciate close involvement in getting our neighborhood to the level of safety that we all
need and I am sure you would personally want in your own neighborhood -- I don't know if you live, here,
but if you do, then you understand.

We welcome you and the OPD officers to all our meetings. Our next one is Sunday January 3rd at 5pm.

Sasha Esposito (a Lake Neighbor)





On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Orozco, Ricardo wrote:

Mr. Henry & Berman:



I received an e-mail from Chief Batts regarding a recent burglary that occurred at Mr. Henry’s residence. I am looking in to the matter and researching why it took us so long to respond.



I am the Area Commander for Area 2, which is Central Oakland from Lake Merritt to High Street. As the Captain responsible for the Area, I can assure you that I manage my resources equitably and with the highest regard for the entire area. Based on our work so far this year I am pleased to report that Robberies are down 26%, Shooting are down 42% and Residential Burglaries are down 4%.



My staff and I will continue to provide the best/quality service you demand. I will reply once I have the information regarding the call and if you have any questions please feel free to call me.



Sincerely,



Ricardo E. Orozco

Captain of Police

Oakland Police Department

Area 2 - Bureau of Field Operations

(510) 238-3351 - office

No comments:

Post a Comment